Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Textures/Speculars


I'm intrigued by specular highlights. I'm not sure why this is, but when done well, I'm drawn to them like a moth to a flame. I'm not really sure what the point of this little session was, other than to test out a new lens I had recently obtained, the 50mm/f1.4. This was my first "fast prime" ever, and even though I haven't realized its utility until only recently, this lens wowed me nonetheless. It's bokeh is amazing, and stopped down, this lens gets quite sharp.

These shots were taken at the Greenwood Park Mall in Greenwood, Indiana, and about 30 minutes in, a "security guard" not much older than what looked like the age of 15 stopped us and told us it was illegal for us to take pictures at this venue. There's a big rift between law enforcement/security services and photographers, in that it is actually NOT illegal to take pictures of public places. At all. There are lawyers who specialize in this field, and have won many a litigation. There are horror stories of policemen confiscating memory cards and camera equipment, and even going so far as to arrest citizens simply walking around taking photographs of architecture, buildings, etc. all in public places. One photographer was even taken to the ground when he refused to give up his nearly $7,000 camera/lens combo, and then arrested for "resisting law enforcement." Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate what law enforcement implements and does for the general public, but sometimes it can go way too far. Of course, just by the very nature of the interaction, it's always just better to bite your tongue, be polite, and comply, simply to avoid any further problems, regardless of the fact that (in general) law enforcement and security have no right to tell us to stop photographing publicly accessible areas.

ANYWAY, sorry about that little tangent. Just something that has always bothered me....











No comments:

Post a Comment