Friday, June 12, 2009

Blake vs Jun


In the summer of 2008, Indianapolis held a championship tennis tournament, in which James Blake participated. My brother and I had just gotten into photography at this point (probably about 2-3 months in), and we had both just purchased Canon's workhorse lens, the 70-200/2.8L IS. We were able to score some passes from a friend of my brother's, as he has always been huge into tennis. With these passes, we were able to "sneak" into the AP photographers' box courtside, and snap away. Being the GWC ("guys with cameras"), in hindsight (and especially for those photographers there whose livelyhood depends on getting the right shot), I feel bad about being there essentially illegally. But it was all a learning experience, and always for the better.

A few pics of me my brother snapped while we were in the box. Interesting sidebar: for a lot of photographers, there's an obsession with taking pictures of other photographers taking pictures. I don't know why this is, but I also have this strange obsession...





Anyway, I was able to get at least a few good shots of James Blake and his opponent, Woong-Sun Jun, and 22 year-old South Korean. They had an amazing match. Not to mention I was excited as balls to be photographing a pro sporting event. Being a newb though, I still had a lot of problems with my exposures and such. The sun was blaring in my face, messing with my camera's meter, the players were running around the court at full speed, and to top it all off, I had only had my camera for a few months. Maybe I should have purchased a starter dSLR to wear down the shutter before going prosumer...?



Blake's "what the f#%$ kind of call was that?" face.













Winner = Blake.

No comments:

Post a Comment